Many movie buffs have memories of being hooked to their systems downloading their favorite movies online! The user-friendly method suitable for this option is known as torrenting. However, it was in practice for many years before the live streaming technology kicked in.
Torrenting is the technology introduced for file sharing universally. As a result, many types of files like movies, music albums, games, and more are available for millions of users across the planet.
However, is this method legal? Is a user safe when torrenting on the world wide web? How to be anonymous while torrenting files? What are the best torrent sites for all-around downloads? Read on to know better!
What Does Torrenting Mean?
Torrenting is the peer-to-peer transfer protocol that happens through the BitTorrent network. It is successful for people with lower-bandwidth internet connections. Also, you do not need fancy tech or equipment plugged into your computer to download your files!
Downloading, in general, happens through a worldwide server. Although, in the case of torrenting, file-sharers need not upload the files to a centralized server at all.
Now, many internet users love working with the torrenting method despite knowing the risks, like malware attacks.
How Does Torrenting Work?
Let’s look at the simple breakdown of how torrenting works.
- The process begins with a user searching for torrent files on a website. So naturally, users always go for the best torrent sites to find vast topics covered within a single space.
- The websites that display torrent files for download are known as indexers.
- The Pirate Bay, LimeTorrents.Info, Torrentz2 are some of the best torrent sites still in place.
- Seeding is the term for the process of searching torrent files on these websites.
- Files available for download do not have the content directly, which is the main point to note when torrenting. Instead, the process links to the seeders or computers willing to share the file.
- Torrent trackers help connect the computer of seeders ready to share the file.
- When many seeders are available, your download is faster. So, torrenting works on this simple logic.
- Downloading the file begins with the simultaneous process of sharing files. Hence, you are not downloading the entire packet but in bits and pieces.
- The general concept remains that if you are downloading, uploading also happens at the same time.
- If more than one source is ready to share, the downloader need not depend on any single seeder alone. Instead, you can gather bits from different sources.
- Also, once your file download is complete, you start to help downloads for other peers or users.
Compared to direct downloads, the torrenting download speed is slower. It might annoy many users, but the speed increases as the file-sharing with many seeders are in play.
People having faster internet connections might not complain much about this issue. However, it sure is a dealbreaker for people suffering from poor bandwidths.
Is Torrenting Safe and Legal?
Torrenting is not entirely illegal as you aren’t taking a copy or buying the copyrighted files from rightful owners. Hence, you can find the illegal stamp on your actions.
Different countries have put a blanket ban on using some of the best torrent sites citing infringement on the entertainment industry economy. However, most users are not concerned by the ethics department and continue torrenting with the help of VPNs.
The VPN system helps you mask your identity as your device’s IP address is hidden while downloading using torrenting.
Are Torrenting and Downloading The Same?
When seen from a plain canvas perspective, both torrenting and downloading look the same!
However, the technology inside has vast differences. Downloading a file through a straightforward method takes place with the help of central servers. Thus, the files are present for all to download at once. Moreover, it is much faster than torrenting.
Torrenting happens to gain speed only when many seeders are ready to share the files searched. Thus, people with limited bandwidth can download from the best torrent sites with plenty of sharers.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Torrenting
Now, let’s take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of torrenting below:
- Network traffic decreases.
- Download progresses even when one seeder goes out of the loop. The process continues with other seeders online.
- Once you receive an error while downloading, torrenting does not ask the user to start over again. Your file proceeds for download with the remaining bits left out.
- Virus fears loom large with unauthorized websites.
- Your internet connection may take a hit with the process of uploading and downloading happening together.
- Infringement issues might force the user to stop torrenting or use a VPN.
Hunting for the files throughout the web is easier with torrents. Nevertheless, you ought to stay cautious of the legal consequences when downloading files that come under strict copyright terms. Hence, VPN is your need of the hour in such cases.
Besides these, we hope that this guide helped you understand all the necessary details of torrenting easily!
Read Also:Tags: best torrent sites , peer-to-peer transfer protocol , torrenting files , torrenting method