Best NAS Models for Domestic Use and Small Offices
by Arina Smith Technology 08 October 2018
Can a single hard disc ensure your data safety? I really doubt this. Can several ones united in a single NAS-system do this? You bet! NAS drives are not only perfect in terms of amazing capacity around tens of terabytes, but these mini-computers also allow the user to work with data from different devices, broadcast videos, or share files within a single network at the same time. We offer you a detailed review of these wonder devices used both at home and for business.
Asustor AS6404T – Powerful System for Your Multimedia Library
NAS Asustor works on a modern Intel Apollo Lake platform, it is equipped with a powerful quad-core Celeron processor with a burst up to 2.3 GHz.
This device works with 4 hard disc drives or solid state disks. While form factor doesn’t matter, make sure the unit interface is compatible with SATA III, and maximum capacity is under 40 TB. This model is a perfect choice for a multimedia library like Plex Media Server. If you’re planning to pick NAS for Plex, feel free to read these best NAS for Plex reviews.
- Sturdy metal body and damped slide bays for discs. Each element is an embodiment of quality. The device is even equipped with anti-vibration stuff.
- 4 Gb RAM allows a user to work with any kind of requests and play even 4K format videos.
- There is a possibility to increase RAM capacity up to 8 GB.
- In-built graphical engine Intel HD with hardware decryption option, which makes the performance almost thrice as effective.
- 5 USB ports: three standard 3.0 ones, two Type-C ones.
- The device supports the majority of OSs from Windows XP and macOS X 10.6 to iOS and Android mobile systems.
- Connectivity with complex acoustic systems up to 7.2 formats.
- HDMI 2.0 connector, great functionality compatible with media content.
- Several levels of data security, which can be easily arranged among the discs by the user.
- WOL/WOW functions always keep the device in hibernation to reduce power consumption, though the system “wakes the item up” just in two seconds.
- Additional control is possible via both NAS front panel and remote control unit.
- Weighs around 3 kg.
- Relatively high price.
Drobo 5N – Experimental NAS for Discs of Various Capacity:
This 5-discs storage has quite a small 2 GB RAM, yet sufficient for basic operations. It is equipped with a Marvell Armada XP dual-core processor featuring medium characteristics and minimal heat generation.
The system itself is packed into an internally strengthened metal body with glossy front panel concealing HDD facets.
- Effective work with discs of various capacity. The device divides them into blocks, which allows using all available memory.
- Creation of backup copies for two HDDs.
- 4 flash-module memory. Two of them are 64 MB, the other two are 500 MB.
- There is an additional mSATA slot for increased device performance. You can connect one more solid state disc (it will work in cashing mode).
- Simple and fast disc installation with no screws. SSD is simply inserted into its proper room just under a spring clamp.
- The front panel is attached with the help of magnets. There is a filler used around the perimeter to avoid vibration and rattling.
- There is a possibility to readjust the brightness of LED indicators, which would be really nice, because there are quite a lot of them.
- Inner emergency battery for proper shutting the discs down in case of power failure.
- Removable cables on AC adapter.
- Cotton bag for comfortable carrying the device parts together.
- The price for real American NAS for 5 discs is not really high.
- Works properly only with relatively new versions of OS Windows above 7 and macOS X above 10.9.
- RAM patterns are soldered over the motherboard, they can’t be replaced.
- No external USB ports, 4K video adapters or other pleasant stuff.
QNAP D2 Pro – the Best NAS Drive for Home Use:
This model based on inexpensive Celeron N3060 processor by Intel with 2 cores can be used with 2 HDDs with total capacity under 20 TB. It is equally friendly with discs of both 2.5 and 3.5 inches.
This device has a really nice operation speed thanks to connection via SATA 3 interface and its own RAM of 1 GB.
- Quick Access option makes the installation and connection of NAS drive easier, it also offers direct access to the files.
- The basic frequency of the in-built central processor unit is not impressive (only 1600 MHz), yet it can automatically accelerate up to 2480.
- It is possible to increase the RAM capacity to 8 GB thanks to an additional slot.
- There is a hypervisor for the creation of additional virtual computers.
- 4K video support.
- The perfect set of exterior interfaces: 2 ports of Gigabit Ethernet, 3 USB 3.0 ports and one more micro-B standard one, one audio output and additional mini-jack, SD-card reader and HDMI.
- Low power consumption: 17W working consumption, and not more than 8W in hibernation.
- Backup copying with the creation of one “mirror” is executed by a single button pushing.
- A large number of original applications for synchronization, search, restoration, and arranging of information on any connected device.
- Small sizes and lightweight – 1.3 kg.
- Comes with a remote control unit.
- RAM is only 1 GB (this is really nothing compared to modern devices).
- The price for a 2 discs NAS is pretty high.
WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra – Great Device for Cloud Storages:
This cute NAS model for 2 discs has a little bit of unusual construction. HDD is inserted not into side bays, but rather under a ventilated cover on top of it. The front panel has only colored condition indicators and nothing extra.
The NAS supports the total RAM of 16 TB and can also be delivered together with original WD Red discs of various capacity.
- Two high-speed USB 3.0 ports.
- Compatibility with a most popular OS like Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Weaving is already installed.
- Access to its own WD cloud and possibility to exchange data with other virtual storages.
- A big number of additional programs for content control, including original software for servicing NAS itself.
- Possibility to plan backup copying for separate sections and folders, as well as external devices connected to the internal network.
- Wise power consumption, not exceeding 15 W.
- Power unit comes with extra connectors adapted for various types of sockets.
- Three-years warranty provided by the manufacturer.
- The price without discs is pretty nice.
- 1 GB RAM.
- The absence of a standard “Power” button, the device can be turned off from the program interface.
- Dust will easily penetrate inside the NAS system through the top cover.