AI For Financial Fraud Detection: How AI Is Revolutionizing Banking?
by Soumava Goswami Information Technology 24 January 2024
With the rise in cybercrimes across the world, financial fraud is increasing at an alarming rate. This, in turn, leads to strong losses for financial organizations every year. As per various reports, the global economy loses hundreds of billions of dollars of its GDP. Financial frauds can be of two types – corporate frauds and non-corporate e-banking frauds. Hence, there is a huge need for AI for financial fraud detection.
In this article, you will learn about the importance of AI for financial fraud detection. Next up, we will look at how AI can help detect financial fraud and how the system works. Furthermore, you will also learn about the applications of AI to fund financial fraud in banking. Finally, we will discuss some of the major roadblocks for AI in financial fraud detection. Hence, to learn more, read on through to the end of the article.
AI For Financial Fraud Detection: Why Is It Important?
According to Forbes,
“Traditional methods of investigating financial fraud rely on manual verification and human analysis. Unfortunately, these methods often fall short when dealing with today’s increasingly complex and sophisticated fraud schemes. These shortcomings make it imperative to explore the transformative potential of artificial intelligence and machine learning for revolutionizing financial fraud investigations.”
One of the major industries that is on the rise in this domain is identity theft protection. Here, the system tracks and monitors customer’s financial transactions, credit reports, and other banking activities. Furthermore, identity and theft fraud detection enable you to take self-protective actions. Hence, you will be better able to lower the damages that come out of fraudulent activities.
However, no matter how many safety measures you take, identity theft and fraud are bound to happen. Hence, there is a strong need to modernize and automate your financial fraud detection activities.
AI is important for fraud detection because, with AI algorithms, these systems can gain better knowledge from experience. Furthermore, these systems also add fresh inputs and execute human tasks efficiently through automation.
Furthermore, AI already plays a significant role in the finance domain. The more financial data AI works with, the better in-depth insights and analytics of the financial industry. Here, AI integration into financial software systems and generative AI helps in this regard.
Hence, you can see from the information above that fraud detection is easier with the introduction of AI. This is because AI is more efficient and reliable. It also plays a crucial role in the banking sector, assists with fraud detection beforehand, and does not wait for fraud to occur. Furthermore, this technology is also highly capable of detecting scams and helps avoid cyber fraud before it happens.
AI For Financial Fraud Detection: How Can It Help?
According to NVIDIA,
“Generative AI and large language models (LLMs), capable of learning meaning and context, promise disruptive capabilities across industries with new levels of output and productivity. Financial services firms can harness generative AI to develop more intelligent and capable chatbots and improve fraud detection.”
AI systems use potent tools for fraud detection. Human workers who handle fraud manually with AI assistants. These assistants run programs on the backend and are well-equipped to tap into information from policy documents. This helps to expedite the decision-making process better, especially when there are cases of financial fraud.
The mechanism of AI-driven fraud detection works interestingly. In the first place, they start by gathering essential data, processing the data, and finally categorizing them. This data includes proper information based on legitimate transactions, as well as information on fraudulent transactions.
Here, the job of data engineers is to prepare the system with varied examples of financial fraud patterns. This helps the AI algorithm to become versatile, agile, and business-specific. Hence, data from new transactions enter the system.
As a result, with self-learning and adaptation, the machine can deal with those new data. Thus, the system can now adjust accordingly to deal with fraudulent transactions. Hence, it can now recognize new types of frauds and probable frauds.
With these factors, AI detection mechanisms can make reliable and efficient fraud detection models. The following are some of the major aspects:
- AI systems will be able to process large chunks of data accurately and efficiently. Furthermore, it helps reduce the error margin that occurs due to human intervention.
- It helps the system with real-time detection
- The system helps enhance customer experience
AI For Financial Fraud Detection: How Does It Work?
According to DigitalOcean.com,
“AI fraud detection operates by implementing machine learning algorithms that are designed to analyze behaviors and detect anomalies indicative of fraud. It starts by establishing a baseline of normal transaction patterns and user behaviors. The system then continuously monitors data, looking for deviations from this norm.”
Hence, as the AI mechanism encounters new and different types of data, it fine-tunes its parameters. As a result, it can better distinguish between legitimate and suspicious activities. The following is the mechanism with which AI fraud detection works:
1. Data Collection:
The system aggregates large chunks of data (both transactional and behavioral) from a variety of sources.
2. Feature Engineering:
This includes the identification and selection of relevant data traits and aspects that might give information on upcoming fraud.
3. Training The Models:
In this case, to recognize patterns of fraud, the system uses historical data to train machine learning models.
4. Detecting Anomalies:
Here, programmers apply statistical techniques to find out factors that diverge from standard patterns.
This process includes updating the AI model with new learning and data. This ensures the system can identify newer fraud tactics.
6. Alerts and Reporting:
Here, the system flags suspicious activities and comes up with detailed reports. This further helps in further investigation.
Applications Of AI For Financial Fraud Detection
DigitalOcean.com adds –
“In banking, AI algorithms are tasked with the continuous monitoring of accounts, where they analyze transaction patterns to detect signs of fraud, such as unusual large withdrawals or unexpected overseas transactions. Advanced machine learning models delve into credit and loan applications to root out synthetic identity fraud by uncovering anomalies that may suggest fabricated identities, preventing financial loss before it occurs.”
With the application of AI, banks and financial institutions can bolster their operational efficiency. Here, AI can take the initial workload, and meanwhile, human investigators can focus on analyzing those alerts that are of high risk.
The following are some of the major applications of artificial intelligence in the development of financial fraud investigation:
1. Entry-Link Analysis
With the help of entry link analysis plus the help of AI, it will be easier for investigators to analyze essential relationships. Hence, they will be better able to identify suspicious patterns and find notable connections. The following are the stages of entry link analysis:
- Collect and gather necessary and relevant data from different sources like customer records, transactions, and logs.
- Integrating those data to bring out important entities in the investigation.
- Analysis of transactional patterns, connections, and attributes. Furthermore, this stage also includes the presentation of the patterns for better interpretation.
- Detection and flagging of suspicious and abnormal behavior.
- It also highlights entities and relationships that require closer examination.
- Updating and continuously learning new and emerging patterns and models.
2. Forensic Accounting
With the help of advanced technologies like AI and with its proper integration into banking systems, forensic accountants will be able to evaluate complex patterns and various suspicious activities. Here are some of the major places where AI can be very influential:
- Structuring or smurfing: It involves evading the bank’s obligation to report transactions by depositing just under $10,000.
- Layering: Here, criminals shift money between different accounts across various banks in various countries. This also includes converting the money into local currencies. As a result, it helps in hiding the original source of the funds.
- Integration: This is a money laundering practice where the criminal uses illegitimate funds to purchase expensive items. By doing so, the criminal appears to have lawful money.
- Shell Companies: Here, criminals open bank accounts at offshore locations where there are relaxed regulations. This way, the criminal can hide the actual amount.
- Trade-based money laundering: Here, criminals manipulate export prices to overseas buyers. Hence, they appear to earn legitimate income despite money laundering.
3. Compliance Monitoring
AI technologies can aid banks and financial institutions to comply with regulations on anti-money laundering. The following are the cases where AI has a lot of potential to provide help:
- Round-tripping: Creating an illusion by selling real estate to a foreign company at a low price. But buying back at a higher price, thereby laundering money.
- Using trusts: Concealing frauds by opening bank accounts under trusted nominees and evading detection.
- Crypto and digital currencies: Many criminals move illegal money through cryptocurrency exchanges, thereby masking their identities.
- Taking over account: Unlawfully gaining access to someone’s bank account and using that account to transfer illegal money.
- Financing Terrorism: Funding legitimate charities that serve as organizations that finance terrorist groups.
Major Benefits Of AI For Financial Fraud Detection
Nvidia adds –
“Fraud detection has been a challenge across banking, finance, retail and e-commerce. Fraud doesn’t only hurt organizations financially, but it can also do reputational harm. It’s a headache for consumers, as well, when fraud models from financial services firms overreact and register false positives that shut down legitimate transactions.”
Hence, by integrating fraud detection systems with AI, businesses and financial organizations will be able to safeguard their operations from different types of threats. Hence, they will be able to improve not only security but also their efficiency and customer service.
The following are some of the major benefits of AI for financial fraud detection:
- AI can always monitor transactions and catch suspicious activities faster. With real-time detection, it allows for immediate action. This can help in limiting potential losses.
- With the growth of your transaction volume, AI is also able to expand its detection and monitoring capabilities. Hence, as your business grows, your AI fraud detection system becomes better.
- You can cut costs by reducing the need for manual review teams. Furthermore, you can also get more resource-efficient solutions.
- With the help of AI, you can lower the errors that accompany manual processes. Hence, you can also ensure more accuracy in fraud detection.
- Once there is a strong fraud detection mechanism in place, your customers will also feel more secure about their transactions. Furthermore, such an AI fraud detection system can help you maintain a haven for customers.
AI For Financial Fraud Detection: Major Roadblocks
“With the right combination of technological advancements and human expertise, staying one step ahead in the fight against fraud will safeguard our government’s and financial systems’ integrity, ensuring a secure and prosperous future for all.”
However, there are many challenges in implementation that you can face. These you must navigate beforehand. These obstacles range from regulatory compliance to limitations in technology. The following are some of the major roadblocks you can come across with the implementation of AI for financial fraud detection:
- Less access to high-quality and relevant data.
- Incomplete, inaccurate, or outdated data can affect the performance of AI algorithms.
- Integration of AI financial fraud detection mechanisms with your current business system can be very complex and expensive.
- One of the major issues of AI systems is that they generate false positives. Here, legitimate transactions can turn out to be fraudulent.
- Need constant updates sometimes.
- The AI fraud detection systems need to comply with all regulatory compliance and ethical considerations.
Hope this article was helpful to you in understanding the future of AI for financial fraud detection. You can see here that although there are various benefits, there are still existing challenges. However, one can easily see how the use of AI in financial systems soon is inevitable. What do you think about the use of AI in financial systems? Consider sharing your ideas and opinions with us in the comments section below.
Need More Informative Articles Click Below!!